db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Delete Database that is locked by the network server
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:12:20 GMT
Damian Hofmann <damian.hofmann@gmx.ch> writes:

> "public-database" are open?
> 2. How can I tell the derby network server to "release" the old
> "public-database", so I don't run into a "file is by an other person
> or program" error? The networkserver seems to hold some file-locks, so
> i can't just delete the directory. I don't want to shut down the whole
> network server, since it is serving the other databases.

If you have successfully shut down the old database, it should be
possible to delete it even if the server is still running. A problem
is that currenly, Derby doesn't have a way to avoid the database being
rebooted by a clients trying to connect after you have shut the
database down but befor eyou have had time to delete it.

We did consider adding such a mechanism as part of DERBY-4447. Feel
free to request such a feature with a new JIRA is you think it is
useful.

Dag