db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: derby rollback
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:15:25 GMT
Rami Ojares / PDF-Comics Oy <rami@absinth.fi> writes:

> I create a large transaction.
> Keep adding to it.
> And BANG I kill the client process suddenly.
> It seems that the transaction keeps hanging on inside derby for some
> time (maybe a minute or so).
> Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Hi Rami,

It's not supposed to hang, but if the transaction is large and has
performed many updates, it may take some time to undo all the
changes. It could potentially take as much time as it took to execute
the transaction in the first place.

> Derby certainly detects that the connection was broken.

I assume this means you've seen that Derby immediately prints "client
disconnected" or something in the log? Otherwise, it may take some time
before a broken connection is detected on some platforms, I would guess.

> Does derby wait for the client to reconnect or something?

No, it shouldn't do that.

--
Knut Anders