db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: delete from table
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:16:21 GMT
Rami Ojares / PDF-Comics Oy <rami@absinth.fi> writes:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that deleting a table takes a VERY long time.
> I am importing data into derby.
> And as I work with my import script I have to do the import MANY times.
> So in the beginning of my import I first delete everything from the
> tables I have previously imported into.
>
> It seems that deleting takes at least as long as doing the import.
>
> So my question is twofold.
> 1) Why is that so?
> 2) Are there any plans to support a truncate or similar command (like
> in mysql) where the delete just wipes everything away from the table
> without making all kinds of checks?

There is an undocumented TRUNCATE command available in debug builds of
Derby, but not in production builds. There is also a request for
TRUNCATE in the issue tracker, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-268.

If this is a feature you would like to see in Derby, you should vote for
it to give it more visibility. Or even better, volunteer to complete the
implementation! :)

--
Knut Anders