db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Pavel Bortnovskiy <PBortnovs...@Jefferies.com>
Subject In-Memory Apache Derby Tables not visible from "outside"
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:28:56 GMT
Hello:

I am writing an application which is using Derby as an in-memory DB:

        Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver");
        m_connection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:memory:testdb;create=true");

In that application I am also starting the NetworkServerControl:

        try {
            NetworkServerControl server = new
NetworkServerControl(InetAddress.getByName("localhost"), 1527);
            server.start(new PrintWriter(System.out));
        } catch (Exception e) {
            logger.error(e);
        }

My application seems to run happily, creating and populating tables. All
the tables are well visible from the inside the app, for instance after
"CREATE TABLE" called,
this returns cnt=1:

Statement statement = m_connection.createStatement();
        ResultSet rset = statement.executeQuery(
                "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM SYS.SYSTABLES WHERE
TABLENAME='SAMPLE_TABLE'");
        int cnt = -1;
        if (rset.next()) cnt = rset.getInt(1);

However, if I try to connect with another DB client (currently I am using
Aqua Data Studio and it's configured to connect to
jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/testdb;create=true), it connects, but the
tables created in memory are not visible (while SYS tables are):

So, why could it be that in-memory tables aren't seen from the "outside"
and what can be done to make them visible?

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Pavel Bortnovskiy.

Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of this email,
including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which
it was addressed. If you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward, disclose
or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. This email may be produced at
the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability
for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other than intended
recipients is prohibited.  In the United Kingdom, Jefferies operates as Jefferies International
Limited; registered in England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper Thames
Street, London EC4V 3BJ.  Jefferies International Limited is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.