db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ronald Rudy <ronchal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby Statements
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:43:06 GMT
On Jan 29, 2010, at 11:33:28 AM, Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

> Derby is always transactional, so even with autocommit, when you open
> a read-only result set for iterating over it, any read locks it sets
> for a row would block another connection trying to modify that row
> (Update or delete). If you use repeatable read, the locks will not be
> released for the rows you have already visited as long as the
> transaction is live, so this would significantly increase the chances
> of update connections blocking for as long as the iteration is going
> on.  By moving to read committed isolation level, you should (AFAIK)
> only have one row level read lock set for the row the cursor is
> presently positioned at. It would be interesting to know to do the
> kind of debugging Bryan suggested to determine why the update
> tranactions block, if you could find the time :)
>
> Dag

I've used read_committed (that was the primary one I was trying as it seemed best suited),
but I'll see if I can get back to it and find some time.  I'd much prefer to iterate over
a resultset, deleting those (transactionally) as I iterate over them, all while doing concurrent
inserts.  I just want to do it without getting lock timeout exceptions :)