db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John English ...@brighton.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Problem upgrading to 10.5.3: column named "xml"
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:44:11 GMT
On 29/01/2010 18:11, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> John English wrote:
>> I've tried surrounding the name XML in double quotes ("xml") but that
>> doesn't work.
 >
> Hi John,
>
> Have you tried uppercasing as well as doublequoting the column name.
> E.g., "XML" rather than "xml"?

That is *exactly* the solution. I always write my column names in lower
case since SQL is generally case-insensitive, but of course everything
is stored internally in uppercase, so "xml" doesn't work while "XML"
does. I am once again a happy bunny!

Many thanks for the use of your wisdom,

  Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
  School of Computing & MIS | "Those who don't know their history
  University of Brighton    |  are condemned to relive it" (Santayana)