db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John English ...@brighton.ac.uk>
Subject Problem upgrading to 10.5.3: column named XML
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:56:13 GMT
I am trying to upgrade an old app (v8 or 9) to 10.5.3 but have run up
against a serious problem. The DB contains several tables with columns
called XML, which is now a reserved word in v10.x. These cause SQL
exceptions when the app tries to access them.

The older version of Derby that the app currently uses doesn't support
column renaming, so I can't change the existing tables in situ, and as
it's a live system I can't afford to just recreate the tables.

I've tried surrounding the name XML in double quotes ("XML") but that
doesn't work.

Is there perhaps a version of Derby that I can download that supports
column renaming but doesn't have XML as a reserved word? Or is there
another solution that I've missed?

TIA,

  Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
  School of Computing & MIS | "Those who don't know their history
  University of Brighton    |  are condemned to relive it" (Santayana)