db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Request for response to an open source database survey for LCA 2010
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:43:22 GMT
In case someone else would like to fill out this survey and would like
to peak at my answers, here's what I said:

Q: How would you describe your software and what it does in a sentence
or two? *
A: Derby is a full-featured pure Java RDBMS. It is easy to use and fits
in a small jar file.

Q: What feature(s) sets your project apart from your peers?
A: Derby's key strengths are the strengths of the Java platform:
security, portability, plugability. Derby is ideal for the following usages:

a) Shrink-wrapped Java applications which don't need an administrator.
b) Data-rich applications which are downloaded over the web into a browser.
c) Middle-tier caches to scale out access to enterprise databases.

Q: Who is the target user or audience for your database? Do you have any
case studies to share?
A: Java developers. For uses of Derby, see
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby A good summary of the
experience of writing a Derby-powered application can be found here:
www.papercut.com/...derby/ApacheDerbyAJUGPresentation.pdf

Q: What's the best document for new developers to read if they want to
get involved?