db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jim Crowell <JimCrow...@EMail.com>
Subject Embedded Web Server in Java stand alone application...
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:59:00 GMT

I have a Java stand alone application that creates a Derby Database using the
embedded derby connect. It work fine in creating, viewing and editing the
Derby tables.

I have a requirement to generate reports as a function of the constructed
Derby file. In my infinite wisdom I decided to build the application reports
using my application  host default Internet Browser, i.e. the “Report
Generator” is HTM driven.

This decision is based on my requirement to generate reports in the
following modes:

1) Local Mode using the Derby Database residing on the HDD. I’ll invoke the
Internet Browser from my stand alone app.

2) WWW Mode using the Derby Database residing on my Server. I’ll use
JavaServer Pages [JSP] to construct the various reports.

The “WWW mode” is doable, standard processing. The reports shall be created
as HTML templates with custom Tags where the Derby parameters shall be
inserted.

In the “Local Mode”, ideally I would like to use the same JSP / Servlet
method employed in the “WWW mode”. An alternative [workaround] approach
would be to still use the form template with custom tags but do the
processing independent of a Web Server, JSP container. Some Java methods
could be used in both the alternative approach and the JSP / Servlet “WWW
Mode” phase.

The purpose of this thread is to determine if it is possible to use a Web
Server in the “Local Mode”? Another objective is to get an idea if this type
of stand alone application / Web Server integration has been accomplished. I
think I know how to do the “alternative implementation” and needed to
understand if I’m getting into development “Over My Head” in implementing
the Web Server approach in my “Local Mode”.

The following figure is designed to illustrate my “Local Mode” approach so
that I can ask questions and the thread reader can comment [shoot holes] in
the system. The figure is base lined from a Derby tutorial
[http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html#ns_lookat_code]
that was recommended to me in the Apache-Derby-Developers mailing list.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27148809/embedded_server.jpg
Note: I received some very useful advice from that forum and was advised to
go to the Nabble “derby-user” mailing list for help on the feasibility of
having the Web Server embedded in my application.

In my reading, I came upon the Apache Portable Runtime [APR] and Tomcat
Native [http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/apr.html] documentation and
thought that may be a good place to start the conversation.

Note that the Java stand alone application under development shall be
marketed for the Windows and the Mac OS X platforms. I would have to load
the matching Native Tomcat in my deployment process.

Question:
How can I produce a Java stand alone application that shall conditionally
spawn my end user’s default Internet Browser with “Report Generator” HTML
that use a Web Server and JSP?

-----
Regards,
Jim...