db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Can derby network server be shutdown from ij?
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:21:29 GMT
han hongfang <hanhongfang@gmail.com> writes:

> My understading is ERROR XJ015 means that derby system is successfully
> shutdown.
>
> But why after derby shutdown I can still see other commands working.

The Derby system shutdown brought down the database engine. However, the
next connect command booted the database again.

> In my
> example, "show tables" still works. Meanwhile, my first command window which
> starts derby network server is listenning on port 1527. It seems derby is
> still alive.

Yes, that observation is correct. In Derby, shutting down the database
engine and shutting down the network server are two different concepts.

> What does ERROR XJ015 actually mean? Is it possible to shutdown derby network
> server from ij, and how?

You can shut down the network server either by running

  java -jar derbynet.jar shutdown

on the command line, or by using the NetworkServerControl API. See also
this section in the administration guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/adminguide/tadminconfigshuttingdownthenetworkserver.html

You cannot shut down the network server from ij, as far as I know,
except if you write your own stored procedure that uses the
NetworkServerControl API.

Hope this helps,

--
Knut Anders