Hi all,

I use the derby database encryption frequently in my programs but I was wondering how it really works.

Does it decrypt the db once on boot and then once more time on shutdown only ?
or does the database stay encrypted all the time and the data that goes back and forth is encrypted/decrypted on the fly ?

One more question whose answer is not in the derby docs, when I specify an encryption key in the jdbc url and I do not specify the "encryptionKeyLength" parameter, what does it take as default value? supposed I was using AES or Blowfish which can use 192 or 256bit keys, does derby automatically guess the key length from the specified key?

Thanks.
--
George H
george.dma@gmail.com