db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Hill <Thomas.K.H...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Managing the Derby Network Server remotely by using the servlet interface
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:23:01 GMT
Bryan,

thanks for your advise. With your guidance and some further reading how to
deploy apps under Tomcat I finally managed to get this running.

As a short summary:
1) Deploying the war file into tomcat using the tomcat manager application
placed the war file 'derby.war' into tomcat's webapps folder
(/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/ on my debian system) and also created a folder
within webapps called 'derby'. Initially the derby folder created only contained
one subfolder 'WEB-INF' in which only one file 'web.xml' was found.
2) Within the WEB-INF folder I then manually created an additional folder 'lib'
into which I placed 'derby.jar', 'derbynet.jar' and 'derbytools.jar'. (Note: I
made user 'tomcat55' the owner of the folders created and of all derby jar files
which I copied over, and specified 'nogroup' as group.
(so I actually did not need to place anything in ../common/lib).
3) Restarting Tomcat and then opening URL http://localhost:1527/derby/derbynet
returned a screen confirming that the 'Derby Netwrok Server has been started'
and the screen also offers some buttons, e.g. one 'Stop' button which can be
used to stop the server again.

The last thing I did was to add line
derby.system.home=/var/lib/derby/derbydata as the last entry in file
'catalina.properties' (found under /usr/share/tomcat5.5/conf) so that database
files are created and stored in a separate location and not within the tomcat
hierarchy.

Hope this write up helps people looking for some guidance (beyond what is
documented in the admin guide) on topic.

Regards
Thomas