db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Hill <Thomas.K.H...@t-online.de>
Subject Managing the Derby Network Server remotely by using the servlet interface
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:56:29 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to deploy derby network server as a web app under tomcat5.5
on a debian server. The server admin guide talks about this on page 40,
but not in enough detail for me to understand what I might be missing or
doing wrong.

What I have done/tried/achieved so far:
1) the derby packages have been unpacked to /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/derby
2) the file owner has been set to tomcat55 on all files in this folder
and it's sub folders
3) the environment variables PATH, CLASSPATH, DERBY_HOME, JAVA_HOME have been set
and the following tests have been run successfully on the command line, so the
server could be started and stopped as intended:
-> java -jar -D/../derbydata $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start
(and java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server shutdown)
and also
-> java org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start
(and java org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl shutdown).
4) I could connect to the server using ij either from localhost or
(after adding -h 0.0.0.0 to the start command) from a client machine on my
network
5) I have also deployed the war file in to tomcat (not sure if this
was needed)
6) in tomcat manager derby is listed as an application in the 'List
Applications' section
7) the start command hyperlink is not underlined in tomcat initially, so I
assume this means the application is considered started and starts when
tomcat starts
8a) when using the 'Stop' command I am receiving a message
'OK -Stopped application at conext path /derby'
8b) when then using the 'Start' command, I am receiving a message
'OK - Started application at context path /derby'
9) when trying to follow the hyperlink under path /derby on the same
screen which issues http://localhost:8180/derby/, I am getting http 404
the requested resource is not available.
10) when typing http://localhost:8180/derby/derbynet into the browser instead
I am getting HTTP 500 'Wrapper can not find servlet
org.apache.drda.NetServlet or a class it depends on'

Can someone please advise what is still needed or what I do wrong?

Thanks
Thomas