db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject problem with ij.runScript on AIX 5.3 64 bit
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:11:04 GMT
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:26 AM,  <Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com> wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I have somehow a problem using derby on AIX 5.3

[...details...]
> Questions:
>
> 1.    have derby and ij ever run successfully on AIX (e.g. 5.3) with Java5
> (64 bit)?
>
> 2.    is there a possibility to activate logs from ij so we can better see
> what is happening?
>
> 3.    Did anybody face a similar problem and maybe got a workaround?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Malte

Hi Malte,

I'm changing the subject of this thread (I couldn't find it again
because you tacked it onto (hijacked) a message about an OOM error.)

1. I've tested ij and found it works - I've run the derby functional
tests some of which do run ij.runScript, and activating
org.apache.derby.tools.ij manually, on AIX with IBM 1.5.
But on my machine, although the CPU is 64 bit, the AIX Kernel is 32 bit.
I've most recently run with IBM 1.5. SR9 ( and there's now SR10 out) -
also for 32 bit, of course.

2. ij or any other derby tool will start logging when there's any
connection to a database. Judging from your actual log, it seems the
program, and logging, *is* getting started.
There is an error that occurs both in your expected log and the actual log:
delete from MEMO_RECORDS
2009-11-19 11:32:25.127 GMT Thread[main,5,main] (XID = 145),
(SESSIONID = 1), (DATABASE = DB), (DRDAID = null), Error compiling
prepared statement: delete from MEMO_RECORDS where TMPST_IN < ? :End
prepared statement
I'm not sure why, do you have an explanation for this?

One way to get more info out of derby/ij is to create a simple text
file called "derby.properties" (or modify it if you have one already)
in the dir where you start your program from and add the following:
derby.infolog.append=true
derby.language.logStatementText=true
derby.stream.error.logSeverity=0

Note, in the code snippet I see you're doing a try/finally - but I
don't see a catch of any exception. I wonder what's happening in the
method that's calling this - are you catching any exceptions there? A
printStackTrace() might be able to shed some light.

3. I've never heard of this particular problem. But problems do occur.
It's also possible there's something wrong with that particular jvm
version also. If you can get a simple repro together I can try it out
on my machine...

Myrna