db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Derby to access Cloudscape DB
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:22:53 GMT
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:39 AM, mjs1138 <mjsulliv@uvm.edu> wrote:

> hey Rick & Bryan, thanks for the responses.  I think I'll start w/ the older
> derby path first.  Thanks again.
>
> --- Miie
>

> mjs1138 wrote:
>>
>> Hi.  I'm hoping someone here can help me or at least point me in the right
>> / any direction.
>>
>> I've been asked to retrieve data from an old java app that was developed
>> using cloudscape (CS).  I have never used cloudscape or derby.  The
>> reading I've done tells me that CS has been migrated to derby.
>>
>> I started w/ the derby tutorial and got it to work using ij from a dos cmd
>> window.  I then tried to CONNECT to the other DB and received this
>> message:
>>
>>   ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database 'patientdb', see the next
>> exception for details.
>>   ERROR XSLAC: Database at C:\Users\Mike\DERBYTUTOR\patientdb have
>> incompatible format with the current version of software, it may have been
>> created by or upgraded by a later version.
>>
>> I've searched for a migration process but haven’t been able to find one.
>> Any thought or help w/ direction will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks --- Mike
>>

> --

Hi,

There is *no* direct path from Derby to Cloudscape. You *cannot*
connect to a Cloudscape database using any version of Derby - and you
should not try to do so.

Instead, you'll need to open the Cloudscape database using some
version of Cloudscape, and export the data to text; then create a new
database in Derby and load your data. You'll need to look at the
documentation for both products how to do this.

Depending on how much non-standard (and so discontinued) functionality
was used in the app and database, you may even have more trouble. To
start with, Derby has no Boolean datatype. Also, for instance, The
Cloudscape stored procedures are not a direct match for Derby stored
procedures. There is no equivalent for Cloudscape Stored Prepared
Statements. The VTI interface from Cloudscape does not directly
translate to Derby.
Basically, you'll need to analyze how the old app was created, and
what functionality it used, and then compare with Derby and see if
there is a match.

HTH

Myrna