db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Allgeyer, Jessica" <jallge...@GAIC.COM>
Subject RE: Upgrading Issues
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:37:26 GMT
Kristian

If we decide to upgrade we'll try the Dummy approach. We'll keep an eye out for patches and
upgrades related to this issue

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
Jessica Allgeyer
(513) 763 - 8523

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius
- and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. -albert einstein

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM [mailto:Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:27 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Cc: Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM; Combs, Jeremy; McGrath, Phil; Ritchie, Erin; Lewis, Chris; Allgeyer,
Jessica
Subject: Re: Upgrading Issues

Allgeyer, Jessica wrote:
> Kristian/Rick
>
> I've included 2 attachments. One is the full stack trace for the NullPointerException.
The other is the file the call is trying to use. The file is zero bytes and does not contain
any characters. Our platform is Windows and we are using Java to run the call.  Below is the
full import call.

> CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE ('SA', 'CHACRGE',
> 'C:\bea\projects\claims-dev\unzippedclaims\CHACRGE.rcsv','|','``',null
> ,1)

A quick (and not that thorough) debugging session seems to have led me to the problem, which
is related to the addition of collation support.

The NPE happens here (from line 2348) in InsertResultSet.emptyIndexes:
            newIndexCongloms[index] =
                tc.createAndLoadConglomerate(
                    "BTREE",
                    indexRows[index].getRowArray(),
                    null, //default column sort order
                    collation[index],
                    properties,
                    TransactionController.IS_DEFAULT,
                    rowSources[index],
                    (long[]) null);

The problem is that the variable 'collation' hasn't been initialized and is null.
Adding "int[][]             collation = new int[numIndexes][];" to the
top of the method makes the repro pass, but I haven't studied the code or run the regression
tests.

Not sure there is much you can do about this, except for not using replacement in the import
or simply avoiding import of empty files.
Maybe detecting empty files and executing a "delete from TABLE" would do?
(until the bug has been fixed)

Regards,
--
Kristian

> Thanks
> Jessica Allgeyer
> (513) 763 - 8523

version,  api CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE is throwing the error 'java.lang.NullPointerException'
when a file is empty. After investigation, any version above our previous version of 10.3.1.4
causes this error. Can you provide us with a solution or adjustments we need to make on our
end? Please let me know if you need more information provided.

> Hello Jessica,
>
> I'm not able to reproduce with neither 10.5 nor the development trunk, so more information
would be useful.
> (Just noticed Rick reporting the same.)
>
> I simply tried importing a file of size zero bytes, and that worked (i.e. nothing happened).
> Some suggestions:
>  - Can you provide the stack trace from the NullPointerException?
>   (remove traces you don't want to reveal if necessary)
>  - Is the file zero bytes, or is there at least one character/byte (visible or non-visible)
in there?