db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Allgeyer, Jessica" <jallge...@GAIC.COM>
Subject RE: Upgrading Issues
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:57:17 GMT
Kristian/Rick

I've included 2 attachments. One is the full stack trace for the NullPointerException. The
other is the file the call is trying to use. The file is zero bytes and does not contain any
characters. Our platform is Windows and we are using Java to run the call.  Below is the full
import call.

CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE ('SA', 'CHACRGE', 'C:\bea\projects\claims-dev\unzippedclaims\CHACRGE.rcsv','|','``',null,1)

Thanks
Jessica Allgeyer
(513) 763 - 8523

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM [mailto:Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:14 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Cc: Combs, Jeremy; McGrath, Phil; Ritchie, Erin; Lewis, Chris; Allgeyer, Jessica
Subject: Re: Upgrading Issues

Allgeyer, Jessica wrote:
> Recently we have upgraded our Derby DB from 10.3.1.4  to 10.5.3.0. With the latest version,
 api CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE is throwing the error 'java.lang.NullPointerException'
when a file is empty. After investigation, any version above our previous version of 10.3.1.4
causes this error. Can you provide us with a solution or adjustments we need to make on our
end? Please let me know if you need more information provided.

Hello Jessica,

I'm not able to reproduce with neither 10.5 nor the development trunk, so more information
would be useful.
(Just noticed Rick reporting the same.)

I simply tried importing a file of size zero bytes, and that worked (i.e. nothing happened).
Some suggestions:
 - Can you provide the stack trace from the NullPointerException?
  (remove traces you don't want to reveal if necessary)
 - Is the file zero bytes, or is there at least one character/byte (visible or non-visible)
in there?
 - Can you specify the full import call?
 - What's your platform? Do you already now that the bug occurs at any platform?

The best thing you can do is to provide a small repro script :)

Regards,
--
Kristian