db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Donald McLean <dmclea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby--Embedded
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:26:35 GMT
Oracle and other databases (including Derby server mode) - the DB runs
as a separate process and the application talks to it over a network
connection. Embedded databases such as Derby the database runs inside
your application, the database is on a local disk and the application
objects talk directly to the DBMS objects via method calls.

Actually doing the embedding basically requires two things:

1. including derby.jar in your classpath

2. connecting to the database using a URL that specifies a local file

Otherwise - what Rick said - the Derby documentation is pretty
straightforward and useful.

Donald

--
Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that

Join the photo preservation advocacy Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=148274709288