db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: using XmlTreeWalker
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:44:55 GMT
Hi Flavio,

I think that the AST you prefer would be equivalent to what the parser
actually does. Both representations give the compiler the information
which it needs for the tricky, later phases of rewriting the AST--the
compiler considers many re-writes when it tries to optimize the
execution of the subquery. Note that an IN list is much simpler than a
subquery and the compiler has fewer options for re-arranging an IN list
than a subquery.

I'm going on vacation now. Please don't be put off by my radio silence
for the next week.

Cheers,
-Rick