db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Malte.Kem...@de.equens.com>
Subject AW: AW: AW: OOM with millions of weakly-referenced Derby objects
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:11:54 GMT
Hi Dag,
The problem in my case is, that I don't have access to any AIX-Computer, and that is really
a pity, because I cannot reconstruct the scenario on my own and watch it with my own eyes.
That all happened on a production system and the provider denies trying it out again.
But attached you can find the SQL-script without being UTF8.
So that Problem should occur in the same way used on AIX (5.3)
BTW: is there a way to be kind of independent of the input format?

Malte

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM [mailto:Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM]
Gesendet: Freitag, 27. November 2009 01:19
An: Derby Discussion
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: OOM with millions of weakly-referenced Derby objects

Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com writes:

> Yes this is the API I am reffering to.  Well actually it says that,
> but in my case it did not do it.  It needed a long time, several
> minutes. Reason as it turned later out, after getting the output in
> a file a lot of IOExcceptions. I never got those on windows nor on
> Solaris. Thr original logic of the routine calling the runScript
> Method was asking for the return code but either it never hit this
> if statement and crashed somewhere within ij without giving the
> Exception to the caller or ij gave something like 0 so the output
> never was given to the logger.  So there is something phony with
> ij.runScript using it with AIX 5.3 and a SQL-Script not coded UTF8
> but declaring in the parameters as UTF8. Of course that is a fault
> by my own, but it should tel me about it.

I looked at the implementation for runScript in
org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain#runScriptGuts and it does seem
to catch exceptions, count them and return them. Are you able to
provide a repro script showing that 0 or -1 is returned from runScript
for the failing scenario?

Thanks,
Dag

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

return code should have been given as I would suppose it looking at the method signature.

--
Dag H. Wanvik, staff engineer
Sun Microsystems, Java Core and Desktop - Java DB/Derby