db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Malte.Kem...@de.equens.com>
Subject AW: AW: OOM with millions of weakly-referenced Derby objects
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:55:30 GMT
Yes this is the API I am reffering to.
Well actually it says that, but in my case it did not do it.
It needed a long time, several minutes. Reason as it turned later out, after getting the output
in a file a lot of IOExcceptions. I never got those on windows nor on Solaris. Thr original
logic of the routine calling the runScript Method was asking for the return code but either
it never hit this if statement and crashed somewhere within ij without giving the Exception
to the caller or ij gave something like 0 so the output never was given to the logger.
So there is something phony with ij.runScript using it with AIX 5.3 and a SQL-Script not coded
UTF8 but declaring in the parameters as UTF8. Of course that is a fault by my own, but it
should tel me about it.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM [mailto:Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM]
Gesendet: Freitag, 20. November 2009 19:54
An: Derby Discussion
Betreff: Re: AW: OOM with millions of weakly-referenced Derby objects

Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com writes:

> In other words I would count that situation as not nice behaviour of ij, since the return
code should have been given as I would suppose it looking at the method signature.

Is this the API signature you are referring to?

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/publishedapi/jdbc4/org/apache/derby/tools/ij.html#runScript(java.sql.Connection,%20java.io.InputStream,%20java.lang.String,%20java.io.OutputStream,%20java.lang.String)

It says:

Returns:
    Number of SQLExceptions thrown during the execution, -1 if not
    known.

If so, are you seeing 0 or -1 returned here?

Dag