db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Malte.Kem...@de.equens.com>
Subject AW: OOM with millions of weakly-referenced Derby objects
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:26:26 GMT
Hi to all,

I have somehow a problem using derby on AIX 5.3

Derby is used as embedded DB by a little program. The database is
constructed when it is not there using the specific driver property.
That seems to work. Then I am using ij to create the tables etc if the
first statement crashes because of having not table. This strategy works
perfectly on Windows and Sun-Solaris as well, but now I am facing
trouble on an AIX-machine.

Following program method uses ij

private void runScript(String fileName) throws FileNotFoundException,
UnsupportedEncodingException, IOException, SQLException

      BufferedInputStream iStream = null;

      PrintStream         pStream = null;

            FileInputStream fileStream   = new

            iStream                      = new

            ByteArrayOutputStream bOut   = new

            pStream                      = new PrintStream(bOut);

            logger.info("running Script '"+fileName+"'");

            int result = ij.runScript(m_conn, iStream, "UTF-8", pStream,

            logger.debug("Result code is: " + result);

            if (result!=0)

                  throw new RuntimeException("problems running
"+fileName+" rc:"+result+"\n see logs for more information");

            if (pStream!=null)

            if (iStream!=null)

Obviously concerning the logs ij is called as in this line

int result = ij.runScript(m_conn, iStream, "UTF-8", pStream, "UTF-8");

after several minutes the program seems to crash without any exception I
could see the derby.log got following entries (I usually expect

but does not show any of ij as it does when I use it on Window or

following JVM is used on our AIX 5.3:

$ /usr/java5_64/bin/java -version

java version "1.5.0"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
pap64dev-20061003a (SR3))

IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 AIX ppc64-64
j9vmap6423-20061003 (JIT enabled)

J9VM - 20060915_08260_BHdSMr

JIT  - 20060908_1811_r8

GC   - 20060906_AA)

JCL  - 20061003

1.    have derby and ij ever run successfully on AIX (e.g. 5.3) with
Java5 (64 bit)?

2.    is there a possibility to activate logs from ij so we can better
see what is happening?

3.    Did anybody face a similar problem and maybe got a workaround?

Thanks in advance

View raw message