db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Fabio <pruef...@me.com>
Subject time format (or: the curse of dst)
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:12:48 GMT
Hello,

I'm using Apache Derby to store hourly values of electricity
consumption. The values are used in an electricity market simulation
implemented in Java.

Now because of DST, hourly values mean that (for central Europe):
- one day in March has 23 hours (there's no 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. during
that night)
- one day in October has 25 hours (2 a.m. to 3 a.m. appears twice
during that night)

The data in October is published as:
(..)
02:00
3A:00
3B:00
04:00
05:00
(..)

I have yet to find a good solution on how to store this data in the
database. Obviously, "3A:00" is not a valid time format.
Currently, I'm storing the consumption data in conjunction with a
field named "hour_in_year" (1-8760) but having the date and time is
more handy for sql select queries.

Any ideas how to support the "curse of dst" in a time field?

Fabio