db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alexandros Karypidis <akary...@yahoo.gr>
Subject Plug-in won't work in "Java and Report Developers" Eclipse
Date Sat, 31 Oct 2009 08:26:15 GMT
Hi,

I've hit a problem which is very likely to be what was discussed in this
list here:
http://old.nabble.com/Eclipse-3.5-Plugin-%28Galileo%29-works-only-partial-tt24897570.html

I have some extra information about this (most importantly a consistent
way to reproduce):

When using the "Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers"
installation, ANY derby core plug-in downloaded from the Apache Derby
web site is NOT detected. This edition (btw it is an official
distribution from eclipse.org) is essentially the JEE edition together
with the BIRT reporting plug-ins; You can get it from the official
Eclipse downloads site:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/galileo/SR1/eclipse-reporting-galileo-SR1-win32.zip

Now, compared to the pure JEE edition (where everything works properly),
the BIRT edition has the reporting plug-ins and they also show some
lovin for Derby as they include a version of the core plug-in:
org.apache.derby.core_10.3.1.4 plugin.

So, I was trying to replace it with a newer version by deleting what
BIRT came with and adding the core plug-in downloaded from the Apache
Derby site (tried 10.3.3.0, 10.4.2.0 and 10.5.3.0). No matter what I do,
the new plugin is not detected running "eclipse -clean -debug" does not
provide any relevant information (some birt plug-ins fail to resolve due
to missing the derby core, but there is nothing about the derby core
plugin itself). It appears as though the bundle is silently ignored and
then causes the installation of a couple of other bundles that depend on
it to fail.

I'm about to head to the BIRT newsgroup to discuss this (at the very
least they should stop distributing 10.3.1.4 which has known data
corruption issues), but I'm hoping to gather some more information here
first (I can point them to this thread when I bring it up there).

Can somebody knowledgeable download the file above and have a look at
the plugins\org.apache.derby.core_10.3.1.4 folder to see what they
distribute (as far as I can see, main differences are that the network
libraries are missing and the bundle is sealed).

Hopefully, one come up with a suggestion regarding why newer versions of
the derby core are not picked up. It's probably something that they do,
but I just want an educated opinion before I head over there to complain.

Thanks