db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Migrating IBM Cloudscape to Version 10 - Issue
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:15:37 GMT
Prathip Asaithambi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have a application using Cloudscape database(version5.6).The
> Cloudscape Database size is 73.1 Giga bytes.After migrating the
> database from Cloudscape to derby(Cloudscape10.0) i have noticed the
> following
>
>  1. The migrate derby Database size is reduced to 50.1 Giga
> bytes(which was 73.1GB with cloudscape)
>  2. My Application become dead slow at the DB interaction layer

Hello Prathip,

I have no experience migrating from Cloudscape to Derby, but a few
questions pop up in my mind:
 - Has the size been reduced because the migrated tables have been
compressed / recreated?
 - Have you verified that all the previously existing indexes are in
place in the new db?
 - When migrating, where the indexes created before or after the tables
were populated?

Regarding the performance drop you have seen, it's hard to say what's
going on with the current information. Two suspects are missing indexes
or outdated index statistics. More information about what kind of
queries / operations have become slow may also be of help.

Can you also tell us which version of Derby and Java you are using?

Regards,
--
Kristian

> I have used IBM's migratetoderby.jar for my migration. Could anyone
> help me out what went wrong during migration
>
> 1. Why the Database size was reduced ?
> 2. Whether there is any upper limits during migration process?
> 3. Why Application get slowdown during Database interaction
> layer?which was good before migration
>
> Please help me out by providing you inputs
>
> Thanks & Regads,
> A.Prathip
>

> SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
> This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.
In