db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject New in-memory back end features suggested, rev 1 (was: Re: Derby in-memory back end - where to go next?)
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:30:14 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Derby 10.5 an in-memory back end, or storage engine, was included.
> It stores all the data in main memory, with the exception of
> derby.log. If this is news to you, and you want a quick intro to it,
> see [1] and [2].
>
> I'm trying to gather some feedback on whether the current
> implementation is found acceptable, or if there are additional
> features people would like to see. I expect some wishes to emerge, and
> I plan to record these on the wiki page [1]. The page can then be used
> to guide further work in this area.

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone that chimed in on this thread earlier.
I have now updated the wiki page with some more information. It is very
crude, I just wanted to get something out before I leave for two weeks
of vacation.
Feel free to read through the section "Future features" and give your
feedback on this thread.
Does the suggested features look reasonable?
Has something really important (for you) been left out?

When I get back, I think I'll start working on the new delete mechanism
and maybe the monitoring. Besides from that, documentation must be added.
If time permits, or somebody else wants to put down some effort, maybe
one or more of the remaining features can be added.
In addition to the wiki page, I suppose a separate Jira will be created
for each feature. More detailed specifications will be attached to the
individual Jiras.

The wiki page is at: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/InMemoryBackEndPrimer

Thanks,
--