db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mark Petrovic <mspetro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Property/config management for embedded use
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:44:58 GMT
I'm approaching the same point in my code as Benson appears to have
encountered in his.  And in the back of my mind, I'm preparing to code
the embedded derby instance to use not the file-based version, but the
network client version.  The idea is to spawn the derby network
listener on localhost:xxxx in the servlet context start-up listener,
and use localhost:xxxx as the endpoint of the the JDBC URL, instead of file://-whatever.
   What this buys you is the servlet can talk to the database, but so
can command line clients running in a different JVM for admin purposes.

Will this actually work?  I think so.  Are real apps actually coded
this way, sanely?  I don't know.

Any thoughts?