Hi Stefan:
>Are there any drawbacks for using "upgrade=true" in the connection for any db-connection of our app?

  Glad to know you are getting the database version. Isn't it cool?

  I am not sure regarding the circumstance your application do "upgrade=true". As far as I know, "upgrade=true" is doing a hard copy. Once perform, your database is upgrade to the new version of derby you are running at. I found some document relate to hard upgrade http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2506/gfheb?a=view.

Hope this help,

Lily