Hi Sarah,

Yes, you can have a Derby database as part of a ZIP / JAR archive and access it in read-only mode.

More information below:

In-Memory Derby storage is experimental in 10.5.x - Here you can read some documentation primer about it:

You can create / load an in-memory database from a backup, see Knut Anders's blog entry for more information:

Hope this helps