From: Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM>
To: Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:01:01 PM
Subject: Re: Derby in-memory back end - where to go next?

Hi Lily,

Some comments inline...

Lily Wei wrote:

> Hi Rick:
>
>      Thank you so much for sharing the information with the group.
>
> >* It would be great to be able to bound the growth of the in-memory db
>
> Is there a trend for need of in-memory db on JAVA world?

I find that this consistently generates a lot of discussion whenever I talk about 10.5 features with users.

> Is it mainly for applications, i.e. ERP, CRM, SRM?

The top use-cases which keep coming up are:

o Middle-tier caching -- here people use Derby in the middle tier in order to scale out access to a big back end like Oracle or DB2. Running in memory makes this perform even better.

o Monitoring transient data streams - here you slice and dice the data while the monitoring application is up but you don't necessarily need to keep the data after the monitoring session ends.

o Test rigs -- here you can use Derby on your laptop to run regression tests against an application which will run in production on a big back end like Oracle or DB2; the rig is lightweight and cleans up after itself.

> What kind of solution JAVA can provide for smart device like iPhone, RIMM or Plam? i.e. Will JAVA play well with WindowMobile or Arnoid?

Our small device story is our ability to run on the stripped-down CDC VM. Being able to run completely in memory gives this story extra appeal too.

Thanks,
-Rick