db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Troubleshooting
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 03:01:40 GMT
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Andrew Bruno <andrew.bruno@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Javaid,
>
> Its a little difficult to understand the problem.
>
> if I understand correctly, are you asking whether the application you are
> running requires Java?
>
> Its possible that Java/JRE was embedded in the management app or was an
> external app, and was removed, or your %PATH% no longer has Java/bin??
>
> Can you provide more info?
>
> Cheers
> Andrew
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Javaid Culasy <Javaid.Culasy@kcom.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have a management application which uses embedded Derby database. It has
>> been working well until now. Now when we start the Application it hangs when
>> initialising the Database. When I look in the control panel add or remove
>> program window it dose not show me any “Java” programs. Dose Derby Database
>> need java before it works and in the derby.log file most of the says
>> “unknown” I would much appreciate some one help.
>>

>> Javaid Culasy
>>

>> Senior Customer Service Engineer
>>

>> KCOM Gruop
>>
>> Technology House
>>
>> Maylands Avenue
>>
>> Hemel Hempstead
>>
>> Herts
>>
>> HP2 7DF

It sounds like the application 'crashes' when it's trying to
initialize the database...i.e. the jvm (your 'java' process) stops for
some reason.

You said, "most of derby.log says 'unknown'". Does it say 'Unknown
Source'? If so, that likely just means you're running with normal -
not debug - derby jar files (the exact line number in the source are
unknown).
What would help us is the contents of the derby.log - any errors, and
the stack of called methods at the time of the error if it's there.

And just in case - do you have a backup of the database (i.e. a copy
of the database directory) when it was still working? Would be
interesting to see if you can get things going with that backup.

Regards,
Myrna