db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Lily Wei <lily...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Derby in-memory back end - where to go next?
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:21:14 GMT
Hi Rick:
     I have some follow up questions.
Middle-tier caching, monitoring transient data streams and test rigs totally make sense.
Do you see any benchmark in turn of how derby helps these applications?
In aspect such as performance, totally memory consumption or reduce hardware cost?

     Do you see other embedded databases that also provide solution on the stripped-down
CDC VM?
Do you have any data point for Derby?

Thank you so much for shed some lights for people like me,
Lily

________________________________
From: Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM>
To: Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:01:01 PM
Subject: Re: Derby in-memory back end - where to go next?

Hi Lily,

Some comments inline...

Lily Wei wrote:

> Hi Rick:
>
>      Thank you so much for sharing the information with the group.
>
> >* It would be great to be able to bound the growth of the in-memory db
>
> Is there a trend for need of in-memory db on JAVA world?

I find that this consistently generates a lot of discussion whenever I talk about 10.5 features
with users.

> Is it mainly for applications, i.e. ERP, CRM, SRM?

The top use-cases which keep coming up are:

o Middle-tier caching -- here people use Derby in the middle tier in order to scale out access
to a big back end like Oracle or DB2. Running in memory makes this perform even better.

o Monitoring transient data streams - here you slice and dice the data while the monitoring
application is up but you don't necessarily need to keep the data after the monitoring session
ends.

o Test rigs -- here you can use Derby on your laptop to run regression tests against an application
which will run in production on a big back end like Oracle or DB2; the rig is lightweight
and cleans up after itself.

> What kind of solution JAVA can provide for smart device like iPhone, RIMM or Plam? i.e.
Will JAVA play well with WindowMobile or Arnoid?

Our small device story is our ability to run on the stripped-down CDC VM. Being able to run
completely in memory gives this story extra appeal too.

Thanks,
-Rick

> Thank you for shed the lights for us in advance,
>
> Lily

Java User's Group. A developer asked whether the growth of the in-memory database could be
bounded. He had a use case which we didn't explore in depth but which involved periodically
truncating the database. I asked him to bring his requirements to the Derby user list so that
we could feed them into your spec effort. Here are my takeaways:

> * It would be great to be able to bound the growth of the in-memory db
>
> * It would be great if the memory occupied by deleted records could be released
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In Derby 10.5 an in-memory back end, or storage engine, was included. It stores
all the data in main memory, with the exception of derby.log. If this is news to you, and
you want a quick intro to it, see [1] and [2].

> > I'm trying to gather some feedback on whether the current implementation is found
acceptable, or if there are additional features people would like to see. I expect some wishes
to emerge, and I plan to record these on the wiki page [1]. The page can then be used to guide
further work in this area.

> > To start the discussion, I'll list some potential features and tasks. Feel free
to comment on any one of them either by replying to this thread, or by adding your comments
to [1]. It can be a +1 or -1 on the feature itself, a suggestion for a new feature, or details
on what a feature should look like.

> > * Documentation
> > Must at least document the JDBC subsubprotocol, and also explain how to delete in-memory
databases.
> > If new features are added, these must be documented as well.
> >
> > * Deletion of in-memory databases
> > Currently the only ways to delete an in-memory database are to restart the JVM or
use a static method that isn't part of Derby's public API. A proper mechanism for deletion
should be added.

> > * Automatic deletion on database shutdown (or when last connection disconnects)
> >
> > * "Anonymous in-memory databases"
> > A database which only the connection creating it can access, and when the connection
goes away the database goes away.

> > * Automatic persistence
> > The database could be persisted to disk automatically based on certain criteria.
The most obvious ones are perhaps on a fixed interval and on JVM shutdown.

> > * Monitoring
> > The most basic information is how many in-memory databases exist in the current
JVM, and how big they are. How should this information be presented? Should it be available
to anyone having a connection to the current JVM?