db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQLException: Syntax error: Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 19.
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:31:29 GMT
jstrunk wrote:
> I am using Eclipse 3.5.0 with Derby 10.5.3.0 (not the Derby Plugin). I
> created an SQLJ stored procedure and stored it. When I try to execute it I
> get SQLException: Syntax error: Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 19.
>
> That is the only error information I get. How can I get a listing of what
> SQL thinks the procedure looks like up to the point where the error occurs?

A good place to start would be to look in derby.log. That's the console
log which Derby creates (by default, in the directory where the vm was
booted). You should see the following information in derby.log:

1) The SQLException you're looking for, including the message text above
as well as a stack trace.

2) Just before the SQLException, you should see the statement text for
the query which Derby didn't understand. The statement text will be
prepended with the words "Failed Statement is:"

You can also enable the logging of all statements. To do this, set the
system property -Dderby.language.logStatementText=true when you boot the
vm. For more information on Derby diagnostic properties, see
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/ref/ref-single.html#rrefproper32213

Hope this helps,
-Rick