db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Pooling
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:42:03 GMT
Matt Doran wrote:
> Peter Ondruška wrote:
>> Yes, Derby does not provide connection pool, pick your favourite (I
>> can confirm c3p0 works very well for me). Peter
>>
> We also use c3p0 with embedded derby, but it's mainly just our default
> configuration so if you switch our app over to a network based
> database you can take advantage of the pooling.
>
> When using embedded derby is there advantage (or disadvantage!) to
> using a DB connection pool?

Hi Matt,

I see some people claim c3p0 is a "dead project". Does anyone know if
this is the fact?
 From the SourceForge site I see that the last download was added in May
2007. Even though there hasn't been any releases lately, the project may
still be of great use to people :)

I also remember that some people had problems using a certain c3p0
version with Derby embedded because c3p0 used Thread.interrupt(). This
caused Derby to abort writes (at least when using NIO). With the client
driver, this isn't a problem.
I'm not sure if this problem is present in the latest version of c3p0
(maybe one could do a quick scan of the source).

Regards,
--
Kristian