db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Brian Shields <blanketyblank...@gmail.com>
Subject Overriding one database's content with another
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:52:19 GMT
I'm currently developing a Java version of Mids' Hero Designer
<http://www.cohplanner.com/>, using Derby as my data storage/retrieval.
The data in the database is representative of the archetypes, powersets,
powers, and enhancements in the online game City of Heroes
<http://www.cityofheroes.com/>. Updates to the program would include
updated values in the database to reflect changes to the game.

One of the features I'd like for the program is to allow user
customization of the database without interfering with the "official"
values, and without updates to the official values interfering with user
changes. User customization would be used, for example, to input
upcoming changes to the game by the user, before an official program
update is created. Alternatively, as a way to show the effects of
hypothetical changes when making a suggestion for the game.

My idea for achieving this was to maintain two databases: 'Data',
storing the official information, and 'User_Data', storing the
user-generated changes from Data. What I want is for any SELECT
statement to be passed to both DBs; results in User_Data which are not
in Data would be returned (information added by the user), results in
Data which are not in User_Data would be returned (information not
touched by the user), and results in both databases would return the
version from User_Data (information modified by the user).

The problem is, I'm not exactly certain how to go about it. I suppose I
need to create some sort of abstraction layer between my queries and
that actual database access, but how would I combine the ResultSets?