db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby in-memory back end - where to go next?
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:47:21 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> What would happen when you reached that bound? Would it be similar to
> running out of disk space for a disk-resident DB (i.e., your transaction
> is aborted, and you get an exception)?
>
> If so, then what do you do? Would the application then increase the
> bound,
> and expect to resume adding data to their in-memory DB?
>
> Or would the application then drop tables, delete rows from tables, etc.,
> and then expect to resume adding data to their in-memory DB?
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for calling out these possibilities. I can imagine different
applications which answer that question differently. I hope that the guy
who requested this feature can come into the community and discuss his
use-case with us. I can imagine some users would want us to add the
ability to boost the db size on the fly and some users would want us to
add a bulk-truncate command.

Thanks,
-Rick