db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby in-memory back end - where to go next?
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:01:01 GMT
Hi Lily,

Some comments inline...

Lily Wei wrote:

> Hi Rick:
>
>      Thank you so much for sharing the information with the group.
>
> >* It would be great to be able to bound the growth of the in-memory db
>
> Is there a trend for need of in-memory db on JAVA world?

I find that this consistently generates a lot of discussion whenever I
talk about 10.5 features with users.

> Is it mainly for applications, i.e. ERP, CRM, SRM?

The top use-cases which keep coming up are:

o Middle-tier caching -- here people use Derby in the middle tier in
order to scale out access to a big back end like Oracle or DB2. Running
in memory makes this perform even better.

o Monitoring transient data streams - here you slice and dice the data
while the monitoring application is up but you don't necessarily need to
keep the data after the monitoring session ends.

o Test rigs -- here you can use Derby on your laptop to run regression
tests against an application which will run in production on a big back
end like Oracle or DB2; the rig is lightweight and cleans up after itself.

> What kind of solution JAVA can provide for smart device like iPhone,
> RIMM or Plam? i.e. Will JAVA play well with WindowMobile or Arnoid?

Our small device story is our ability to run on the stripped-down CDC
VM. Being able to run completely in memory gives this story extra appeal
too.

Thanks,
-Rick