db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject 'Read timed out' error on update query
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:59:59 GMT
Environment: Derby

I'm trying to do a large update, and after about 15 seconds the update
statement fails with the following error:

Error: A communications error has been detected: Read timed out.
SQLState:  08006
ErrorCode: 40000
Error occured in:
update users_to_collectives
set relationship_type_id relationship_type_id + 1
where relationship_type_id >= 4 and relationship_type_id <= 12

The table in question has 13769 rows in total and the update touches
most of the rows - 12957.

Interestingly, if I do a

select count(*) from users_to_collectives

immediately before the update I don't get the error but the update takes
a long time (~ 5 mins) to complete.

If I reconnect to the DB after the failed update and reissue the query,
it completes very quickly (< 1 second) and with no errors.

There are no errors or warnings reported in derby.log.

The DB schema is at https://auth.opensolaris.org/xmlrpcapi/dbschema.jsp

Is this a bug?  Has it already been reported?

Alan Burlison

View raw message