db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Nilesh Ranade" <nran...@gemstone.com>
Subject multiple host/port with network client
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:28:48 GMT
Hi,

I am using the later derby 10.5.1 version. I read about the replication &
failover mechanisms in the product manuals.

I had a few queries regarding the network client usage.

1.	I tried multiple host/port pairs in the connection string. My
connection string looks like the following

jdbc:derby://host1:1534/sample1, host2:1534/sample2; create=true;

            Derby did accept such a connection string and established
connection with the first entry. What I would like to know is in case node
"host-1" goes down will the network client failover to the "host-2"
database. I was looking for the auto failover capability rather than the
"warm standby" mentioned in the manuals.

2.	In the above connection string representation, if
"host-1:1534/sample1" is non rechable at the time of client connection. Will
the client move to the 2nd entry and try to establish connection with
"host2:1534/sample2"
3.	If point 2 can be accomplished can I simulate the auto failover
using reconnect timeout ie to say that once host-1 goes down the client will
try to establish connection again and connect with the second entry (
"host2/sample2) as the first entry is unreachable.

Regards,

Nilesh Ranade