db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Hill <Thomas.K.H...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: creating a SQL function in derby
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:20:36 GMT
Hi Rick,

thanks for that. It already helped a lot and I am starting to understand.
I successfully wrote my first function reading the value stored on my ID table
and returning it. What I can NOT figure out is: you advised that I need to
create a function (rather than a procedure) and you stated to use the 'CONTAINS
SQL' function element. Actually when I use 'CONTAINS SQL' when defining the
function, I am getting an error that I am trying to read data, but have not
specified 'READS SQL DATA'. When I change 'CONTAINS SQL' to 'READS SQL DATA' my
function works and returns the result. However I need to not only select, but
also update the data by incrementing the ID value on the ID table (see the
select for update & update in my pgsql sample). But it seems that using a
function I can not update data (and the explanation in the derby manual which is
given for 'contains data' honestly doesn't make sense to me) and when using a
procedure I could update data, but with a procedure not return any value.
However I need to update data and return the new value so that I know which ID
has been assigned. Can you help with the solution of this please?

Thanks again
Thomas