db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby db files and folders (what to track)
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:12:10 GMT
Prodoc81 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Derby database embedded in a Java application. The complete
> project, including the database, is stored in a repository for version
> control.
> Several files and folders are present in a Derby database folder but which
> ones are required to track? I.e. which files are essential for the Derby
> database to function properly? There's for a 'log' and 'tmp' folder for
> example.

Hello,

The files in the 'seg0' directory are the data files, used for tables
and indexes.
'tmp' is for temporary files, for instance used in some cases for LOBs
and when sorting.
'log' contains the transaction log files.
If you haven't changed the defaults, 'derby.log' will also be modified
on each boot. You can make this file disappear if you want to,
alternatively you can write it to a different location.

Maybe we could give you a better answer if you list the files that are
typically changed in your environment.
I guess maybe the lock files change if you're not shutting down the
database properly ('shutdown=true' in the URL), and maybe the log
control files. 'tmp' should also be deleted if you shut down properly.

Is the database truly read-only, or is it updated now and then?
Is it possible to make it a read-only database as described in the manual?

Regards,
--
Kristian