db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What is default size of Derby Blob filed?
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:32:17 GMT
sarah.kho wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you for reply.
> I used    @Column(columnDefinition="blob(6M)") and it is working like a
> horse now.

Glad to hear that :)

I was thinking of using @Column(length=...), but your approach works
just as well. I'm curious if JPA will use metadata to obtain the maximum
allowed length, or if it leaves all length-checking to the database itself.

Note that Derby doesn't reserve space for LOBs, so if there is a chance
your LOBs will be larger than 6M it shouldn't hurt to allow larger objects.
It is currently not possible to change the maximum allowed size of a LOB
column in Derby, but this feature will be included in the next feature
release (see DERBY-4256 [1]).

Regards,
--
Kristian