db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: question on in-mmeory db in 10.5.1.1
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:35:47 GMT
Wald, Mark wrote:

> Can an in-memory db be accessed from outside the application, for
> example from another application in a different JVM, maybe on a
> different IP address, perhaps with a jdbc connect string?'t

Hi Mark,

The only way that I know works at the moment, is kind of a hack and
involves using the network client driver.
If you start a network server and use a connection URL like the one
below, you will be able to connect to the in-memory database hosted on
the server:
'jdbc:derby://myhost/memory:nameOfInMemoryDB[;create=true;...;]'

Please note that you're moving into more or less unchartered terrain here!
Further, I *think* that you should be able to have your main application
access the database using the embedded driver, and then have other
clients / instances connect to it though the network driver.

As a side note, we may be adding more features to the in-memory back end
for 10.6 (it is not yet considered complete / stable). Feedback from
users are welcome.
A few words on what you are trying to achieve would be great.
Does the network server approach solve your problem?
Any additional features / characteristics you would like to see
regarding the in-memory back end?

Cheers,
--
Kristian