db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby 10.5.1.1 regression
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:25:42 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Brett Wooldridge wrote:
>>> Anyone have some suggestions for debugging direction?  I hate the
>>> thought that I'm stuck on <10.5 forever.  Any other environment
>>> details, logging options, etc?
> Did you try setting the properties outlined here:
> http://www.nabble.com/Derby-10.5.1.1-regression-tt24733315.html#a24733315
>
> to see if we get more information in the derby.log?
> I tend to think the stack trace when you get the XCL30/XJ001 errors
> will be very helpful.
> If you still do not see them in the derby.log, it might be helpful to
> get a fix for DERBY-1191, but it does look to me like this error
> should be logged in derby.log.
>
> You might also try with 10.5.2.0  as there were Clob fixes there and
> another user recently found his Clob issue was resolved there.  Note:
> Although 10.5.2.0 passed the vote and is posted to the website, we
> just found a wrong results regression DERBY-4331 which  we are
> investigating.
Kathey,

I may be able to help debug this, but since XA is involved, I don't have
that much context.
Especially, I don't know if the "transfer of parameters" is valid, or
happening at a valid time.

The error seen for the Clob object on the server is apparently caused by
attempting to read the source stream twice (without resetting it). I
don't have the code in front of me at the moment, but if Derby always
chooses to materialize the Clob to "transfer the value", we have another
issue for XA that needs attention.
However, since I don't know if the actions related to the Clob are taken
as part of normal processing or due to a DRDA protocol error, I'm at a
loss at the moment.

Brett,
Another thing that may help at this point, is to enable the client
tracing, see
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/adminguide/cadminappsclienttracing.html.
However, this is just a shot in the dark at the moment, and depending on
the application the data volume may simply be too large to make sense of.

Regards,
--
Kristian