db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "sarah.kho" <sarah....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is default size of Derby Blob filed?
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:46:59 GMT

Kristian Waagan-4 wrote:

> sarah.kho wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thank you for reply.
>> I used    @Column(columnDefinition="blob(6M)") and it is working like a
>> horse now.
>>

> Glad to hear that :)
>
> I was thinking of using @Column(length=...), but your approach works
> just as well. I'm curious if JPA will use metadata to obtain the maximum
> allowed length, or if it leaves all length-checking to the database
> itself.
>
> Note that Derby doesn't reserve space for LOBs, so if there is a chance
> your LOBs will be larger than 6M it shouldn't hurt to allow larger
> objects.
> It is currently not possible to change the maximum allowed size of a LOB
> column in Derby, but this feature will be included in the next feature
> release (see DERBY-4256 [1]).
>

> Regards,
> --
> Kristian

Hi,

I though if I use a big size I will face space shortage after some time :D
now that I know it uses only the required space I can assign bigger numbers.

I think @Column(length=...) does not work with BLOB fileds. at first I tried
to use it but the created field size was that 64k. so I studied that
annotation and I find that parameter. I am using TopLink Essentials for my
application.

Again, Thank you for your help.