db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Leslie Software <lesliesoftw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Derby db files and folders (what to track)
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:05:33 GMT
My application has a read only database as well.  Instead of tracking all the files in the
Derby database's directory I track a .zip file of the database and the final production .jar
file.

I created a read only .jar file version of my database as described by the topic "Creating
Derby databases for read-only use" in the developer guide - http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/

(http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/cdevdeploy15325.html)

The final .jar file is maintained under source control but the working directory for the database
is not.  The latest version of the database is directory is .zip'ed and that .zip file is
stored in the database.  Once a change has been made to the database the working directory
is .zip'ed up and the final .jar is produced both the .zip file and .jar file are checked
into source control.  The next time a change to the database is neccessary a new working directory
is created by extracting the source controlled .zip file and the changes made to the database.
Repeat.

Ian

----- Original Message ----
From: Prodoc81 <age@hobba.nl>

<snip>
I've got a Derby database embedded in a Java application. The complete
project, including the database, is stored in a repository for version
control.
Several files and folders are present in a Derby database folder but which
ones are required to track? I.e. which files are essential for the Derby
database to function properly? There's for a 'log' and 'tmp' folder for
example.

The main reason for asking it the fact that database files get changed even
though application only read from the database. Why is this? This causes the
problem that db files are marked changed but the question is if they should
actually be committed again.
<snip>

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new
Yahoo! Mail.  Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at
http://mail.yahoo.ca