db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby replication seems to be mostly useless
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:31:14 GMT
Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik) writes:

> Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> Alan Burlison wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't, and I just have - and it seems to work, or at least the
>>> startSlave connect hangs as I would expect.  I'll go through my code
>>> and modify it to do the same before claiming victory though.
>>
>> And if I try exactly the same thing programatically I get the
>> following exception:
>>
>> Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason: security
>> mechanism not supported. [08004]
>>
>> I have no idea why it works from the command-line with ij but not from
>> my app.
>
> I have filed DERBY-4299 for this issue (most likely a variant of DERBY-3896).
>
> I suspect that when you use the programmatic approach, the databases
> are not shut down cleanly. If the servers are started from the command
> line, I think the booted databases are shut down cleanly.

I think that's true. We made the network server shut down all open
databases cleanly in DERBY-1274, but only if it had been started from
the command line. The rationale was that a network server that had been
started programmatically was not necessarily the only user of the open
databases, as they could also be accessed via the embedded driver by
other threads within the same process.

--
Knut Anders