db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Derby replication seems to be mostly useless
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:24:25 GMT
Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@Sun.COM> writes:

> Alan Burlison wrote:
>
>> I didn't, and I just have - and it seems to work, or at least the
>> startSlave connect hangs as I would expect.  I'll go through my code
>> and modify it to do the same before claiming victory though.
>
> And if I try exactly the same thing programatically I get the
> following exception:
>
> Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason: security
> mechanism not supported. [08004]
>
> I have no idea why it works from the command-line with ij but not from
> my app.

I have filed DERBY-4299 for this issue (most likely a variant of DERBY-3896).

I suspect that when you use the programmatic approach, the databases
are not shut down cleanly. If the servers are started from the command
line, I think the booted databases are shut down cleanly.

Cf these lines in NotworkServerControlImpl.java:
        :
	// if the server is started from the command line, it should shutdown the
	// databases it has booted.
	private boolean shutdownDatabasesOnShutdown = false;

This means that when the server is started via the API, each database
needs to be shut down individually to get a clean shutdown (with
checkpoint).

Dag