db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Robert J. Carr" <rjc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: locking problem
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:19:26 GMT
Hi Knut-

It looks like things are being written to derby.log, but just not the
derby.log I was familiar with.  There's another derby.log file written
into a tomcat directory that looks to have the information I'm looking
for.

I'm inspecting it now ... thanks for the guidance!

Robert

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen<Knut.Hatlen@sun.com> wrote:
> "Robert J. Carr" <rjcarr@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Knut-
>>
>> I've returned from a short holiday and hoping you could help me out a
>> bit more.  I think the flag you suggested is what I'm looking for, but
>> I don't know where to track down the logs.  I create my database using
>> ant and then later use it in tomcat.  When I create the database a
>> 'derby.log' file is written into the same folder as my build.xml.
>> Here are the contents of that file:
>>
>> ----
>>
>> 2009-07-08 23:30:54.701 GMT:
>>  Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby -
>> 10.5.1.1 - (764942): instance a816c00e-0122-5cb4-9604-0000000f49d8
>> on database directory /Users/rjcarr/...
>>
>> Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=''
>>
>> ----
>>
>> However, after it is created, nothing is added to it.  So I'm not sure
>> where to look to find these logs.  This link:
>>
>> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cscv/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.cloudscape.doc/rtunproper43517.html
>>
>> Says it is written to the "information log", but I don't know what that is.
>>
>> When I added this flag:
>>
>> derby.locks.deadlockTrace=true
>>
>> The logTable dump (which I've posted earlier) is embedded into the
>> stack trace.  Looking at the stack trace after adding the flag you've
>> suggested I don't see anything different.
>>
>> So, long story short, where do I find these log entries?
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> derby.log is where you should find these entries. How did you set the
> property? One difference between derby.locks.deadlockTrace and
> derby.language.logStatementText is that the former is dynamic and the
> latter is static, meaning that if you set d.l.logStatementText with
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY, it won't take effect until you
> have rebooted the database.
>
> Does it work if you create a file called "derby.properties" in the same
> directory as where you found derby.log and add the lines below to it?
>
> derby.language.logStatementText=true
> derby.locks.deadlockTrace=true
>
> Then, after creating/using the database, derby.log should contain
> entries similar to this one for each statement you have executed:
>
> 2009-07-17 10:05:26.608 GMT Thread[main,5,main] (XID = 144), (SESSIONID = 0), (DATABASE
= db), (DRDAID = null), Begin compiling prepared statement: create table t(x int) :End prepared
statement
> 2009-07-17 10:05:26.703 GMT Thread[main,5,main] (XID = 144), (SESSIONID = 0), (DATABASE
= db), (DRDAID = null), End compiling prepared statement: create table t(x int) :End prepared
statement
> 2009-07-17 10:05:26.716 GMT Thread[main,5,main] (XID = 144), (SESSIONID = 0), (DATABASE
= db), (DRDAID = null), Executing prepared statement: create table t(x int) :End prepared
statement