db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Giblin <...@zurich.ibm.com>
Subject Sharing embedded Derby with other plugins
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:13:39 GMT

hi,
I am using OpenJPA, Eclipse DTP, and Derby in my Eclipse RCP app. Before I
added OpenJPA, I was using my own JDBC layer and obtained the JDBC
connection from DTP profile manager. I currently use the Derby embedded
driver.

Now, when I use OepnJPA, I cannot connect to the database in the DSE and
navigate the tables, schemas, etc. Instead, I must stop the OpenJPA
processing, then I can connect to DSE. While DSE is connected, OpenJPA
cannot access the Derby instance.

Ideally, I could use OpenJPA and DSE simultaenously (ie, two connections)
without going Derby Client/Server.

Is there a way two components such as these can access the same Derby
instance? I understand that only one can "boot" Derby.

Has anyone else come across this situation already?

Thanks,
chris